Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easy does it


Couple things happened this weekend. I went back to surgery and had a nice run of abdominal cases with penrose drains and minor complications (peritonitis and bile leakage.) I have done a lot of dressing changes, so this weekend I perfected my skills at changing abdominal dressings and charting the character of bodily fluids draining out of incisions and drains. I also admitted my first post op trauma patient who had a dirt bike accident. Between these three, I had a three day run of staying busy and honing some skills. I dc'd my first foley and Trude inserted her first, so it was all good.

I didn't expect to wake up with a call from the school that my son had a accident at school. With DH following the ambulance team into the ED at the local hospital, Trude and I weren't far behind, all decked out for clinical . We saw the team in the ED (slow day) picking him up for radiology (Trude's first reaction upon hearing that he sustained a pelvic fracture, said, "We have a care plan for that"...yep. Irony reigns eternal.

Finishing up clinical early we trudged out with two weeks to go before start clinical for critical care. I would prefer not to have a parallel experience in the family while this is going on...so be careful people...easy does it.

No comments: