Sunday, January 4, 2009

In need of nursing...


School starts at 9 AM tomorrow morning. After celebrating Bird's 12th birthday yesterday, I arrived home with a nice fever underfoot and a supreme cold. We were supposed to meet Comrade X and his wife tonight for pre-school wine and cheese...that doesn't sound right I know...(preschool wine?)

I couldn't even make it out of bed for Sunday Mass. After loading up on Zicam, Vitamin C and B, plus Lysine, I overdosed on pomegranate/blueberry juice with a Grand Marnier chaser. I packed my bag for tomorrow and called the roadies to let them know that I wouldn't cross contaminate them tomorrow by carpooling. Showing true attention to airborne pathogens and avoiding the roadies, I will drive myself to school tomorrow sans carpool lane. Nice way to start the school year!

I am printing out stuff I need for school tomorrow. I logged onto blackboard and let my classmates know that it would be great to swap labs since I don't have the same lab times as my carpool mates. It's wonderfully isolating to see how the year is springing out the door for me. The kids are probably relieved that I am finally getting back out the door again.

I fetched my transcripts for pathophysiology from Santa Barbara via the snail mail route and decided that I didn't learn much, well maybe a few things. The online format for pharmacology and pathophysiology is quick and painless, but I am starting to wonder how much of it I actually retained.

I did some reading in preparation for school and outlining for med surg, but some of these chapters are so incredibly long, it's hard to decipher what is overkill and and necessary for the group to know.

Orientation is all day tomorrow. I packed plenty of kleenex, antibacterial gel and throat lozenges. There are other people in the class who've been sick too, so perhaps we need to set up our first quarantine area on the first day of program.

Good show...to go to nursing school in need of nursing.

4 comments:

COMRADE X said...

Comades X&Y met today with other classmates and wish you all the very best of days tomorrow.....our spouses send their love and good vibes to you and Trudy and your cohort as well. Take care of yourself and eachother......kiss Sue Odonnell for us...really....just give her a damn smooch from X&Y......she truly deserves our adoration...you are in the best of hands with Ms. Sue.....fear not...so sayith COMRADE X

Student Nurse said...

I wanna be on the red phone tree when you people get jobs... I know you are with us in spirit, truth and madness...Thanks for everything!

Anonymous said...

Comrade Y here. Hope your first day was the start of a great adventure. Give Sue O'D a big hug from "the Men of Sac-ABSN'08," and tell her she has to show you the Uterus Dance. Say hi to Betsy for me:)

R

Student Nurse said...

The uterus dance? Is that on Skills DVD Intermediate or Advanced? I'd like to get a head start on that!