Thursday, February 12, 2009

Full of surprises....N-125


We had final examinations this week, plus a visit to the skilled nursing facility, where were assigned a real patient for a full health assessment. Two surprises occurred in the process of cramming final papers, quizzes and examinations into this week.

We completed a entire textbook, study guide and chapter reviews/NCLEX style questions for this course. We completed a comprehensive skills labs. We prepared a 90 page study guide for Health Assessment and shared it with the class. We practiced our full body assessments on ourselves and our SNF patient. The papers we wrote for ethics and health assessment were extensive and mentally challenging. I was expecting the worst going into the final exam because of two factors:

1) we had a 90 page study guide
2) I had a rather embarrassing lab day the day...being first to go with Sim Bob was frustrating..as I failed to verbalize what I did prior to coming into the exam room...i.e. review his chart etc.

So, with all the anxiety looking over everything we did to prepare for the final exam, we all crammed again all morning...we paired our study guide down to 21 pages. We crammed in the car all the way to school. I prayed to every single one of my patron saints and thanked God for my parents who pray for me everyday to do well in school...and then I grabbed my pencil and placed my binder under the table. Taking three deep breaths, I let go of the stress.

As our professor passed out the exam, she instructed us to put our last name first and our first name last. Our instructor looked at us and said, I looked at the study guide you all prepared and figured out that you already knew everything. Here is your final exam. I turned over the exam and there were 6 simple questions.

The last question on the exam was "What is the most important thing you learned about health assessment in this class? My answer: Health Assessment is the foundation for the entire nursing process and dictates the success of each phase of it. In addition, the teacher of this course is full of surprises.

2 comments:

COMRADE X said...

Hey...You guys are TOTALLY doing it!!! Nice job!!! If you can possibly sustain this effort and have a few other reliable classmates to contribute too....your class will be WAY above the curve of ours...you are already acting like Nurses SHOULD act towards eachother....you get it.You actually get it!!! I couldnt be more proud.

Anonymous said...

I know I have said this before and I'll have to say it again, you guys are an inspiration. All of the generousity and support you give to yourselves, each other and your classmates is really paying off! I'm sure the prayers helped too! Your honesty and humility are what makes you guys winners! Love ya!
Tracy