Wednesday, February 25, 2009

I am a Phoenix...a 90.1% would be sweet


We had our first MCA I exam which essentially slammed down any good feelings I had going into this week. I shouldn't complain because I passed the exam. However, I didn't score nearly as high as I wanted to. It seems like very little payback for the work that went into it (we are talking about 9 chapters of medical-surgical nursing with focus on respiratory structure & function/pathophysiology/treatment.) We had a day & half of lecture, the rest was self taught. I think I can speak for my class when I say that the most frustrating part of the process was the inability to decipher how the test would be administered to cover such a broad scope. To prepare for the NCLEX style of testing, I looked at about a 100+ potential NCLEX style test questions for the respiratory system + read the outlining we did in study group and the pathophysiology review we spent hours on. I spent every hour outside class on this. It was an exercise in futility when it came to the exam. I shouldn't complain ~ they keep telling us that if you are passing the exams, you are doing well. Wished I could have slayed it.

Projects...presentations..two more courses...advil...motrin...coffee...fluoroscent lights. Did you know that chronic levels of fluorescent lighting can cause hypovolemia & eventually hypoexmia (this is the environment we live in...) I'd be willing to blame anything at this point.

We had a 4 hour lecture today with a 4 minute bathroom break. I remember eating a small pasta salad outside in the cold because I had to get out of the building to escape the lung damage.

The strategy going into this was putting on a nursing "thinking" cap, eliminating choices that were obviously wrong and then weighing what were potentially two fair correct answers. If you over thought it or psychoanalyzed it too much, you probably guessed wrong. In my case I switched three answers that were correct (which is really a personal trademark of mine) and probably accounts for most of my GRE guffaws.

This is a whole new beast. I am getting clammy...and the synapses are misfiring. We are reading EKGs and all I am remembering today is "snow over tree", "smoke over fire" and how much I love chocolate being close to my heart. (this is a mneumonic for where to place your leads.) I know serum potassium level norms...but angiotensin II seems so far away. I could use a pedicure. I really could use a tune up on my hair. I wonder if the kids have done the laundry that is piling into next year.

Saturday is first rotation for my group. Classmates who started last weekend talked about their patients today without violating any HIPPA rules. I was impressed with how respectful they are when referencing their patients.

The biggest laugh I had this week was seeing Mr. Johnson on a powerpoint presentation. Old Faithful friend. Can't wait to bring your Jamba juice and benedryl. I miss you.

Speaking of beasts, my calculator and I took a medical math test today on which I had to obtain a 90%. I am waiting to click onto blackboard to see the score. I am sure that on this first day of Lent, Ash Wednesday, I could use a Phoenix. A 90.1% would be sweet. My luck tells me it'll be something closer to an 89%

3 comments:

COMRADE X said...

It SO PAINS me to see my Roadies struggling....I wish I could make all your pain go away. Gives me PTSD flashbacks seeing you knocked out like this.
Please remember...one day at a time, one hour if need be.
Oh yeh....and SLAM that Foley in there!!!!!!

Student Nurse said...

Well I tanked that math test. I messed up my mcg and mL conversions.

COMRADE X said...

You'll get it now...use the secret site I gave ya....I B Watchin.....Let me know when you ace it!!!