Friday, February 27, 2009

Student Nurse on the loose...


T-Minus 18 hours and we are meeting in the lobby at our first 10 week rotation for medical surgical nursing I & II. Yes, I expect to look this ridiculous. Toodles and I drove over with Comrade X today and looked around. How fortunate are we that the Comrades have adopted us like papa birds pushing us out of the nest. My wings are barely flapping. I felt like an elephant at the ballet. We went to check out the lobby, cafeteria and med-surg floors. We checked out an empty room, located some of the safety equipment, called a code (just kidding...but the button is blue) and we touched something Comrade didn't want us to, so we got a wrist slap. We foamed in and out of the room and I cleaned up my first spill.

The campus is lovely. The best part about today was realizing that the Comrades have paved this road for us and we are traversing it with less bumps.

We have a four hour orientation at noon and our clinical faculty is going to ease us into our new roles as we begin to prep on our first patient for the weekend. Did I mentioned that I feel like a kid going to kindergarten?

I've been up late studying, trying to familiarize myself on reading and analyzing EKGs. Our second big exam is next week and I'd like to do a little better this time around. I have so many books, I have a rolling library at my fingertips.

In preparation for tomorrow, I went and visited my hairdresser, who butchered me up real nice for the hospital. She took one look at me and knew the stress we've been under. I could see how frown when she said, "Woman...people much dumber than you have done what you are doing, and you're smart, so stop it!" I looked over at Truddles and said, "Did you hear that?" She mumbled, "yeah." Well, in that case, I guess we'll just hum along then.

I didn't get the math score I need to pass meds, so I have to bone up over the weekend to retake that test. I know it had to with some conversion I missed on the dimensional analysis of converted volumes and weights...so back to the drawing board one more time. It's pretty embarrasing, considering that I thought I did OK on that test.

I am ironing my scrubs (LOL) and loading up my clinical prep sheets, stethescope and all my badges (there are so many) and hoping to get some sleep while my mind races tonight. I will look over my cardiac stuff for the exam and hope that tomorrow is everything I hope it will be...easy. May the spirit of Cherry Ames reside with us...what a dork.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Johnson, ready or not, here we come :)) I'm so excited and happy we get to share this experience. See you in the morning!