Monday, December 22, 2008

Cleaning the boca and true teachers

I had my teeth cleaned today and realized I won't see these wonderful people who take care of my big fat boca again until I am half way done with the program..half way...unbelievable! While I was sitting in the chair having my chops digitally x-ray'd and sonically cleaned (yep..no picks), I thought about a few friends of mine who are suffering in the hospital right now with various trials...cancer, fall from a roof, a knee replacement and embraced the thought that every day of my life over the next 12 months will be learning the skills I need to care for patients suffering from cancer, broken bones, failed lungs, degenerative diseases and everything that comes with getting through a temporary or permanent crisis. My roadies are applying for loan forgiveness programs before school starts and Wells Fargo sent me a letter congratulating me on the exorbitant amount of debt I've just incurred. Thank you. I'm speechless.

We are well on our way to the insanity we've signed on to embrace over the next 12 months. Sitting here at the 14 day mark, I have several wishes for Christmas. Facing a life ending illness as a family is a time of tremendous stress, and can be a time of enormous grace. My buddy who is the hospital with broken bones after falling off his roof...is letting others take care of him now. We are all temporarily here in whatever state we find ourselves in, (healthy, sick, chronically ill, terminally ill), for a long life, or a very brief glance of life... what manner we arrive or leave, it's a gift; this journey. We better be equipped to make it better for those coming behind us, and leave something worthy behind. Merry Christmas and God's blessings to all, especially the sick and the suffering...you are the true teachers.

No comments: