Friday, December 12, 2008

Pinning Ceremony


Last night's pinning ceremony at S.M. didn't look quite like this (which is a traditional Capping and Pinning Ceremony), times have changed a little. Unique to the nursing profession is the symbolism behind the pinning which has it's roots that date back to the Knights Hospitalers and the white cross they bore in serving the ill and injured. Florence Nightengale distinguished herself during the Crimean War nursing sick and wounded British soldiers. Because of her selfless duty during the Crimean War, Florence Nightingale became known as the "lady with the lamp." As a tribute to Florence's dedication, the lamp icon became symbolic of nursing. Some ceremonies use the lamp/candle as part of their ceremonies.

Each graduate selects their pin...with the symbols that represent their school and RN designation. The person who pins them must be a fellow RN. What was perhaps the most touching thing for me to witness were the family members pinning their daughters/sons who shared the tradition of nursing in the family. Trude & I were pretty touched to witness our Comrades X & Y pinning ceremony. They had been through a lot. To hear the stories of what they endured over the last year, how they have changed, who they have become in the process. I also believe in the process of becoming nurses, their spouses should be commended as well, for taking this journey with them. The stories of separation while in school, the sacrifices they made so that they could succeed...the patients they cared for...the impact they made and will continue to make in nursing...we were humbled to witness it.

It would be cool to bring back some of the traditions since we are the centennial class of the newly designated S.M. University...

Below is the pledge thousands of nurses have taken in the past: I liken it to the Hippocratic Oath:

The Florence Nightingale Pledge

"I solemnly pledge myself before God and in the presence of this assembly to faithfully practice my profession of nursing. I will do all in my power to make and maintain the highest standards and practices of my profession.

I will hold in confidence all personal matters committed to my keeping in the practice of my calling. I will assist the physician in his work and will devote myself to the welfare of my patients, my family, and my community.

I will endeavor to fulfill my rights and privileges as a good citizen and take my share of responsibility in promoting the health and welfare of the community.

I will constantly endeavor to increase my knowledge and skills in nursing and to use them wisely. I will zealously seek to nurse those who are ill wherever they may be and whenever they are in need.

I will be active in assisting others in safeguarding and promoting the health and happiness of mankind."

3 comments:

COMRADE X said...

Hi...Just thought I'd mention how wonderful a time we had at dinner with you and Trudy....We treat next year!!!
I hated the "poop" comments from my classmates. What low-class asses on our pinning comittee thought that was a good idea to refer to selected students and the excrement issues they had to deal with?
Patients playing with feces is not what I would have invited my parents or in-laws to hear...I was mortified that my friends and other students had to hear such crassness.
Get EXCITED!!!!.....Get reading!!!
hugs to all that read here....COMRADE X is watching

Student Nurse said...

Comrade....

Outlining and reading already...we're going into full battle gear..thanks to your advice and words of wisdom.

So nice to know you are watching...keep us lowliers posted on the job front. Still praying for you.

Anonymous said...

You will be AWESOME! I just wish you were assigned to my floor/room the
next few days.

Being of the 'cap & pin' era I remember that night as if it was
yesterday. We marched in the auditorium with our Nighingale lamps lit
and singing "you'll never walk alone". Nursing has gone through major
changes, some better than others. I am betting on you and your
colleagues to continue to make improvements.

Just remember Tam, 'dust keeps if you don't get it wet' so get your house
in order before you start because you won't be able to make time to do
your usual 'detailed cleaning' once you start classes. Put a photo of
yourself in every room so JD and the kids remember what you looked like
before you took on the new pose of 'being buried in a book'
Keep your sense of humor and allow yourself to go to your 'special place'
when times get tough. It only takes 30 seconds to go there and back and
remember how good it felt while you were there. Toes in the sand, the
warm sun on your back, birds chirping etc etc...

Know you are loved and I will keep good thoughts of your journey.
-- The Flying Nun