Thursday, December 18, 2008

Surfing a perpetual learning curve


The roadies decided it was time to get a head start on reading and outlining, since we are in an accelerated program that essentially demands that we have eyes in the back of our heads. I am thinking I need one head to stay home, while the other goes to school, while the other studies and preps for clinicals. Then maybe the 5th wheel can come pick me up and start assembly somewhere near the laundry pile. I thought about giving up caffeine for good and the thought left as soon as it entered. Thank God. I know Christmas is days away. There is an attack plan for both. In the meantime I walk the dog down to the gravel road PRN for elimination purposes.

Medical-Surgical nursing is the basis for all the specialties that come out of it; oncology, pediatric, intensive care, maternity, geriatric, cardio-thoracic, neurology, and telemetry (nursing by monitoring).

The textbook is roughly 2000 pages with 12 sections, appendices, glossaries and a lot of stuff I won't have time to read, ergo the reason we need to divide and conquer it up front. We are supposed to master this stuff within a few months. I think med-surg is in constant influx and therefore we will be surfing a perpetual learning curve.

No comments: