Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sign on the dotted line...and never look back


To attend a private school, one has to look at the cost higher education with a sense of total abandonment and leave it at that. Whether you are attending Harvard Law or SM College, there are schools, anywhere and everywhere, that are willing to have you sign on the dotted line and sign your life way in three easy installment payments of $17,000.00 for one year's worth of tuition. Yep, that's how much it costs to go to 12 month nursing boot camp. I can't think about how I will eventually manage all this, given that I have just purchased what is equivalent to a souped up Lexus...but if I was a retiree who had just lost his shirt in his 401K, investing in your education doesn't seem so bad after all (this being the analogy that Comrade X's spouse gave me...and it makes perfect sense.)

When I look at the end of this ride which stops one year from now, I hope some nurse manager somewhere on this path will look me in the eye and tell me to come see him/her about a job when I graduate. Jobs in the market where I live are a little saturated right now for new nurse grads, but I know all things are cyclic and there will be openings eventually. Economic projections for health care are still the hottest commodity for future employment as the boomers retire.

My Mosby's diagnostic manual arrived this afternoon; it weighs as much as short bus, so I know we're going to need book bags with wheels on them. I am too old to do the backpack thing again. Can't wait to see the Med/Surg book... I'm going to put on my bifocals and get back to reading. Comrade X said this would be a good thing to do before school starts...plus the roadies agreed to help start outlining. Regarding my student loans though, my ultimate strategy at this point is to sign on the dotted line and never look back.

No comments: